Katherine L. Taylor, Attorney
Katherine founded Taylor Legal after serving for 10 years as Senior Assistant County Solicitor for Howard County Government, and 7 years as a commercial litigator at Whiteford, Taylor & Preston, a premier law firm in Baltimore, Maryland. She grew up in North Carolina and earned a B.S. in Accounting with honors from the University of North Carolina in Charlotte. After graduating college, Katherine took the CPA exam and became a licensed CPA the same year she started law school at the University of Maryland School of Law in Baltimore, Maryland, from which she graduated with honors.
Katherine also has a life outside of work -- she has two daughters (one in college and one who recently graduated from college), a husband, a step-daughter and stepson, a rescue mutt and a fondness for gardening, running and photography.
Katherine represents business owners and property owners who want to protect or increase the value of their assets by providing sound legal advice, writing killer contracts and negotiating all sorts of solid agreements for her clients. Client success is her aim at all times.
Her unique ability to translate legal ease into understandable English has won over many a client. She will take the time to make sure her clients get what's going on and tries never to talk over their heads.
Responsible for the overall management of Taylor Legal, Katherine's day-to-day duties range from working with clients to overseeing staff. But, because Taylor Legal's staff is so awesome, that part of the job is a breeze.
You may see Katherine shooting (with a camera) images around town as her passion is photography – primarily street and landscape photography. For exercise she alternates between running and yoga and would rather be outside than anywhere else. Always one who enjoys a challenge, Katherine learned the American crawl three years ago to compete in her first sprint triathlon and recently completed her second half marathon.
What you probably do not know
- Learned the 26 code words in the NATO phonetic alphabet on a 7-hour drive to stave off boredom.
- Loved sweet tea before sweet tea was cool. (She is a native Southerner.)
- Is a grammar nerd who cannot tolerate rogue apostrophe use.
- Will not eat Balsamic vinegar, as she believes anything that derives from grapes and ferments in wood barrels should be in a wine glass and not on salad.
- Had a pet alligator as a kid until it got too big and started eating too much (it was humanely set free in a swamp in Florida).
- Subscribed to (and read) Car and Driver magazine for over 10 years.
- Once had 2 female cats named after pro football players (Charley Taylor and Archie Griffin).
- Her great, great grandfather was the mayor of Littleton, Colorado in the 1850's.
- University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, MD
Juris Doctor, with honors, 1986
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Charlotte, NC
Bachelor of Science in Accounting, cum laude, 1981
Admitted to Practice
- All Maryland Courts
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
Professional and Business Association Memberships
- American Bar Association
- American Association of Attorney – Certified Public Accountants
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Howard County Bar Association
- Women's Bar Association for Maryland (Former Board Member)
- Howard County Women's Bar Association (Past President, 2009-2010)
- Restaurant Association of Maryland
- Greater Elkridge Community Association (Former Board Member)
- The First Tee of Howard County (Former Board Member)
- Baltimore Washington Corridor Chamber
Click here to read April 24, 2006 Baltimore Sun article about Katherine Taylor.