Laura Davies is an Associate Attorney at Taylor Legal and a graduate of the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law. Laura completed the Intellectual Property Track, gaining direct experience serving entrepreneurs and small businesses as a student trademark and copyright attorney in the Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship Clinic.
Prior to attending law school, Laura spent 12 years as an Exercise Physiologist in a wide range of academic and clinical settings. While Laura spent some time teaching collegiate students the foundations of physical fitness, her primary focus was in cardiology. Her clinical role required attention to detail and her ability to effectively communicate complex medical terms to her patients while performing medical testing under high stress, time-sensitive situations. These skills prepared Laura well for the legal field. Laura also evaluated and onboarded innovative medical devices, which sparked her interest in intellectual property.
Laura loves spending time with her family. Her “party of five” includes her husband and their three young children. They are her biggest fans. Laura's husband is an active duty Army officer who convinced the Army to allow them to live in one location long enough for Laura to complete law school, for which she is forever grateful. Her young kids were also quite excited about their move to Maryland. When Laura began law school, her son and daughter proudly told all of their kindergarten and second grade classmates that their mom had just started high school in Baltimore. Despite the confusion, they navigated the pandemic together and found joy outside exploring the parks and trails of Maryland, playing golf, eating too much frozen custard, and vacationing at the beaches of South Carolina to hone their sand castle building skills.
What You Probably Do Not Know
- Was born in South Korea, but cannot use chopsticks.
- Attended high school with USA soccer star Abby Wambach and challenged her to the ball during a scrimmage once (and only once).
- Taught military cadets at the United States Military Academy at West Point, but did not attend undergraduate school there.
- Has handwriting so uniform it is often mistaken for computer typed text.
- Spent half her law school career in virtual classrooms while simultaneously re-taking kindergarten and second grade.
- Was a competitive Junior Olympic and collegiate gymnast, and would someday like to be a gymnastics judge (the out-of-the-courtroom kind).
- University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, MD
Juris Doctor, 2022
- Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, GA
Master of Science in Kinesiology, 2007
- Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science, magna cum laude, 2005
- Maryland, 2022